Let me share a bit about my own career to success and highlight some of the skills and knowledge I have gained.
My career in communications began in the 90s when I worked as a community newspaper reporter. I would eventually become a newspaper editor, managing an award-winning staff of 43 people, putting out a local newspaper seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Skills gained: interviewing, information analysis and reporting, investigations, research, budgeting, crisis communications, management, customer service, adherence to deadlines
My career in journalism eventually morphed into my work as a media relations and communications director in higher education where I represented the university with the media, planned press conferences, and major events, published internal and external magazines and newsletters.
Skills gained: internal and external communications, publications management, press releases, speech writing, event planning
Since 2007, I have worked as a sole proprietor, serving in roles ranging from project manager to social media coordinator to coach and editor. Among the many jobs I have done as an independent contractor are:
- Assisted major textbook and educational development publishers in a variety of editorial development and project management roles that led to the creation of K-12 math, English/language arts, social sciences, and science textbooks, as well as post-secondary instructional and assessment materials. Each of the more than 50 projects I have helped advance to completion had its own learning curve, administrative system, and inevitably its own unique software to learn.
- Edited novels, short stories and helped ghostwrite a business book.
- Assisting a sales training company to develop workbooks used for training that is delivered all over the country to Fortune 500 clients.
- Developed and wrote SEO-focused content for websites for new and established businesses.
- Managed social media pages and LinkedIn communications for SMB CEOs and executives.
- Supported solo entrepreneurs manage their daily calendars.
- Media relations manager for rising CEOs and newly established business owners.
- Directed ongoing publication management and oversight of an online literary journal with contributions from award-winning writers from around the globe.
- Empowering emerging writers through coaching, developmental editing, and publication management of self-published novels and collections.
Skills gained: project management, customer service, client relations, business operations, business strategy, business communications, public relations, social media management, specifications, staff and contractor training, scheduling, tracking, reporting, analysis,
highly adaptive technical aptitude